Yesterday was Sunshine's last day with us. Over the past week she had not eaten much if anything, she was constantly breathing heavy and sneezing and coughing, and Dave and I knew that things weren't looking good. But I didn't want to think about the possibility of what needed to be done. I had always told Dave when the time came, I didn't want to know. Well, the time came on Monday. I didn't know. I went to work had a normal day. But when I got home with the kids and was spending time with them Caleb told me that Sunshine went to the doctors. I proceeded in asking questions and he told me that Sunshine was in a cage. I asked him where is Sunshine and he then said that she was in a cage in the car with Daddy. It was then I knew that Dave took her to the vet. When Dave came home I asked him about it and he confirmed that she was gone. I burst into tears. And then spent most of the evening crying. Even Caleb asked "Mommy, will you stop your tears?" I do regret not being able to say goodbye. But I have peace in knowing that this past week I treated her with love and took care of her.
Over the past few years I felt her becoming more of a pain, a nuisance, because I always had to clean up after her and coming home with kids in tow and having to find puke on the furniture was not a pleasant thing. But as much as she was a pain, she was dearly loved. I think even poor Dave had a hard time doing what he did.
Sunshine would have been about 17 or 18 years old I think. I remember her as a young kitten and I think I would have been 14 or 15 when we adopted her into our family. Caleb now thinks that Sunshine is in the clouds with Jesus.
It still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it, but I know it was for the best.

Goodbye my Sunshine. I will miss you dearly and think of you fondly!
2 comments:
oh Char, its always so sad when we lose a dear pet, even when we know it is time.
I love your choice of picture - it made me laugh!
I hope you find peace in knowing you gave her the absolute best life possible, and gave her a respectful end when it was time.
I remember seeing that pic before! I'm sorry to hear about Sunshine... but I'm sure you guys did the right thing, just like I did back in November with Jade. It was a very difficult time period, but I can look back now and remember her with love and not as much pain. Now that the snow is gone I can see Jade's grave stone; I was cleaning it the other day and started to cry. It was a bittersweet moment, and then I moved on. I pray that you will get to that point one day as well.
Jay
Post a Comment