Monday, November 12, 2012

Life at Home

I have had one full week at home. It wasn't any normal week, and I'm sure it will take several weeks before anything feels normal, but it was a good week. Every day I thought about work, and my co-workers and it felt as though I took the week off as vacation.

I thought about the word "Intentional". I want to be intentional in everything I do at home. I don't want to lay my head on my pillow at night and wonder what my purpose is. And even though the tasks as a stay-at-home mom can seem mundane, boring and even sometimes ridiculous, I want to know the purpose in each chore. I look at my kids and how I want to serve them and be the best mom I can be for them. I think of my husband and consider the tasks it takes to better serve him, and overall, I want our home to be a happy one, full of joy, full of love. If sweeping the floors, scrubbing the toilets or even washing down the mirrors aid in this desire, then so be it.

As I type this now, the weather is cold, wet and rainy, and I am eager to see the rain turn into snow. I have memories of being home with my mom, because it was a no-bus day and feeling cozy and warm, looking out at the snow flying down. This is one memory that I want to be able to re-live today with my family. I'm looking forward to having a white blanket of snow over everything, and sitting by the fire warm inside looking out. Either watching the kids play in it, or hear them happily playing warm inside.

I am looking forward to Christmas, and having a little bit of extra time to do things in preparation for it. I want to make a list of all the goodies I like to bake. I look around our new house and start to envision where all the Christmas decor will go. These things excite me.

The month of November I have decided to look for the things that bring joy and capture it on camera to share on facebook. So far I don't ever have to look too hard to find the joy. It's usually right in front of me. Doing this as also brought to light the many many things I have to be thankful for. God has truly blessed me and I hope to remember everyday to thank him for these moments, big and little, they are all a blessing.

2 comments:

Jay Hendershot said...

Charlene, I am glad you are living intentionally and seeing purpose in what you have chosen to do! I totally believe you are doing the right thing. God will bless you in it.

I am not crazy about the idea of snow coming but I am looking forward to Christmas. Maybe one day during my Christmas holiday I could come for a visit. I'd love to see your new home.

amym said...

If you are looking for some extra special Christmas things to do with the kids, I came across 'Truth in the Tinsel' last year. I was late in starting it for the begining of advent. The boys loved it and I am planning on doing the whole thing this year. It is simple crafts each day bringing the birth of Christ more real to little kids.
http://truthinthetinsel.com/