Monday, August 22, 2011

Fighting to See The Bright Side

I've been having a rough week or so. It started last Friday, the day before we left for our holiday at the cottage. It was so easy to spell disaster that day. Everything I didn't think was possible was, and managed to drain out my tears. I don't want to dwell on the events that unfolded, but in a quick review, kids were needy while there was an urgency to pack, cat had a hole in her leg, cat visited the vet but needed extra care for a good week, other cat peed in and on our cloth grocery bags and bins, only discovered that truth at the store where a poor girl packed my items in them while wet (ya, I feel like I can't show my face again!), got to cottage to find no water, in attempt to get water going broke the pump, had to wait for a plumber, Dave suffered a bad back, Joel got a very runny nose, Dave got a terrible cold to put him out for 2 days and when I thought it was all said and done, today my babysitter looked at Ashes' leg only to tell me it looks worse and now we're back to the vet's tomorrow.

Yes, I struggled to find joy, and when I got a glimpse of it, it was quickly taken from me. I feel like falling further into a hole. But I do have footholds that keep me going. Happy times were present and remembered:
*fresh baked donuts and indulging without a care
*the little boy who randomly asks questions about who God is
*my girl who doesn't let me out of her sight, even if I just have to pee
*squeals of joy when Chippy shows up
*the excitment of frogs and how many he counted
*how cool I became when I caught one, but then quickly uncool at my reaction of a snake
*her picking out books and pretending to read them "A Woman of Independent Means"
*the baby and his cuddles
*watching my man be the best daddy ever when it comes to building sand things
*exploring a town I've never been to before
*driving countryside roads to beaches and beautiful views
*the power in a booming thunder
*finding the joy in reading
*watching a movie with my hubby with no interuptions

Coming up with that list makes all the things that weren't right seem so little and small and worthless. I need to put all this silly stuff that seems to ruin a day and toss it away, but hold tight to those things that do bring me joy.

Some wonderful memories caught on camera....








No comments: