This is the 3rd year that Dave and I have intentionally taken our kids to the stores to find certain items to place in a shoebox for a little child, who just like them, loves to receive but are in a place where so little is given because there just isn't the means to give.
Our little guys this year really understood that we were giving to someone. Caleb picked things that he would like to get, and Amberly found things that she already has and loves and picked those because of how much she enjoys hers. We quickly packed them in the box, carefully placing things in certain ways to fit and make room for more things. I forgot the list at home, so there are still a few essentials items that I will buy to put in, such as soap bars and combs, but other than that they are ready to go. They are filled with toys, crayons, hair clips, notepads, balls, lollipops, toothbrushes, first aid kits. I enjoy filling the boxes up because the idea that it will reach a child who lives in a desolate place, where everything to us is simple for them is so difficult, fills my heart.
It's so important to teach our kids the gift of giving. Not to teach them by giving them everything they want, but by practically showing them how blessed they are and that for just so little we can turn around and bless someone else. This world is so full of need, and we have so much, it's the least we can do right??
All it takes is a shoebox.
If you want more information, watch the video below and plug in your postal code at the website, it will give you the nearest drop off location.
http://samaritanspurse.ca/Operation-Christmas-Child/Collection-Centre-Locator.aspx
1 comment:
Thats awesome Char :)
We have yet to do the shoebox thing, but we do have the kids pick out a toy they would like to recieve and then we purchase it and they put it in the donation bin for kids in need. It was a difficult task last year for Patrick especially, but we've been talking about it already this year so I'm hoping it will go smoother.
I agree there is a lot of focus on 'gifts' at Christmas time. I am glad we are teaching our kids about the giving side as well - it also teaches them compassion.
Post a Comment