Friday, October 03, 2008

Three Months

Amberly is three months old today. It's hard to believe. I haven't gotten around to taking her pictures today, but I will. She is becoming more and more like Caleb when it comes to sleep. Caleb always loved his sleep, he still does. He gladly says "nite nite" to us and walks to his room for his afternoon sleeps. Bedtime is hit and miss, if he's tired, he willingly goes, if not, then he cries, but after a few lullabies, he's out. Amberly has always been funny when it comes to sleep, but I find lately she's becoming more predictable. She's still a cat napper if I don't wrap her up. So in the morning, I let her have her cat nap in her crib, and it once only lasted 15 mins, but the past few days it's gone on longer, to a good 30-40 mins. Then always around noon she gets pretty fussy, and as soon as I lay her down and she feels her first arm getting swaddled, she gives off a big smile, I think she's telling me, "Yes, BED!" Now on good days she will sleep for 3 hours without complaints, but there are other days where she will cry after 1/2 an hour. But I am persistant at keeping her in the "sleep mode" for the afternoon. That way both kids are sleeping (like they are now) and I have free time to myself. The best part is at 8pm for Amberly. She totally loves bed at this hour. We have started the same bedtime routine with her that we used with Caleb. We put her on our bed and read her "Guess How Much I Love You" (we still recite Goodnight Moon to Caleb, but we needed a change in story!) then I wrap her up in this Miracle Blanket, which is basically a straight jacket for babies. But she loves it. The whole time during the story she's talking right back to me, and then she's full of smiles when I start wrapping her up. And once I put her in the bassinet, we don't hear from her. Dave dream feeds her at 11pm, and 3 nights in a row she went until 5-5:30am for a bottle. So I think we're getting there. After that bottle I put her back to bed and she goes until 7:30-8am. It's becoming a routine.

On the Potty front. Well I don't know if I can say success or not? Caleb isn't 2 yet, and he doesn't have many words. He doesn't tell me if he has to go or not. So basically as my friend Cindy put it, I'm trained, and Caleb isn't yet! ha ha ha. I know what to watch out for, and we have had many days where Caleb has been in a dry pull-up for the whole day. I watch him to see signs, and if I think he has to go, we go. Now he knows when he doesn't have to go, so it's a start. He says NO if I ask, and at first I wouldn't believe him so we would go anyway, and 9 times out of 10, he sits there and doesn't do anything, OR he says no and then I discover he's wet his pull-up, which technically means he doesn't have to go. So we're getting there. I don't think I'll go back to diapers, not yet anyway. I haven't used a reward such as candy yet because the little guy thinks flushing the toilet and waving and shouting "bye bye pee pee" is so wonderful! I just don't let him flush if he didn't do anything. That may have to change too, I might have to find something more thrilling for him to make it worthwhile, but again, I'll have to wait and see.

As for me, well, I've been doing o.k. Our house is pretty much all settled into, things are on the walls, and we have some windows covered. We are getting central vac next week, since our other vacuum died on the day we moved. I'm trying to get myself into a routine, and take advantage of when the kids are in bed, and I get things done, but one thing I have to find time to throw in the mix is to scrapbook. I was once doing a page a day, and I want to get back to doing that, so I can finish Caleb's first year and start on Amberly's. This past Wednesday I went out with my friends from work and we watched Nights in Rodanthe, didn't love it, but it was o.k. Plus I try to never pass up an opportunity to meet with the girls and get out, so what ever movie they decide, I would go! Our church has changed the Sunday morning schedule and now our sevices start at 9:15am. This I don't really like because it makes it really hard to get there on time. Many times I'm doing it on my own if Dave is already there because he runs the power point. But then after the service we have what we call Faith Steps, it's to take place of Sunday School and we started to attend that. The one Dave and I joined is a group of married couples, from all different ages, and it's great. I love hearing older couples talk about issues that they deal with and realize that we deal with the same things! It's encouraging to say the least.

Tonight Mike and Joy are coming for some pizza and Rock Band. Dave and I have been playing after the kids are in bed, and so we're all going to "Jam" tonight together. It's fun. We don't really have plans this weekend, but I think if we can catch a stretch of time where there isn't any rain, I think we'll be going to the pumpkin patch that we took Caleb to last year. A great opportunity for pictures! Which I'll post sometime!

2 comments:

amym said...

Nights in Rodanthe was a good book but I have found that Nicholas Spark's books are always way better than the movies (message in a bottle, the notebook, walk to remember) so I am not sure if I am going to see the movie....

glad to hear you are getting all settled into the new house...was the transition hard for Caleb at all??

Funny Girl Charleney said...

Caleb adjusted fine. There are sometimes he wakes up crying like he's scared, I think it's because there is a net shelf thingy from Ikea hanging on the wall, and it scares him at night. But other than that, we haven't had any issues.