Monday, March 09, 2009

Crazy Weekend!


Yes Folks, Dave and I were out galavanting again! We left our little ones with Fern and Mert for the weekend, while we headed to Toronto for the World Baseball Classic. This wasn't really my cup of tea, I mean, to watch 3 baseball games in two days, isn't exactly what I call "get away!" However, this is something Dave was looking forward to, and I didn't mind getting away with him. I went expecting what I have normally experienced at a live Blue Jay game, where I would spend a few innings wandering around the dome, and a few innings people watching. To my complete surprise, this was an all together different experience. The first game was Saturday afternoon where Canada played the USA. Dave had amazing seats, we were only 20 rows behind home plate. The Dome was filled. I haven't seen it that full in a very long time. Over 42,000 people attended this game. Who would have thought?! People were decked out in the Canada Jerseys, and the US Jersey's with flags and face paint. The cheering alone was entertaining. Nearing the end of an inning the fans would rise to their feet claping, chanting, and yelling, just hoping for the final out. It was so exciting. Mind you, we were surrounded by drunks. Drunks with lots of money. One cup of beer cost $9.25, and the guys in front of us atleast had 5 rounds! The guys behind us were a little late, probably drinking before they arrived, because they were just out of control with terrible language and really discusting conversations! Canada gave the US a challenge but lost in the end 6-5.
Dave took me to Canyon Creek for dinner, which is almost like the Keg, it was really yummy. Then we were back to the Dome for the Italy and Venezuela game. The dome was not full at all for this one. But there were Venezuelian fans everywhere. They not only came in with the jerseys, flags and face paint, they also had noise makers, crazy hats and wigs. After this game we headed to the hotel and crashed.
Sunday we had to wait around for the 8pm game. So we slept in (but did we? since we lost an hour) and then walked to the Eaton's Centre. We had lunch there, and spent a few hours wandering around the mall. Walked up and down Younge St. and then looked for a movie theatre, at Queen and John but came up empty. We walked and walked and walked. My feet were tired. We walked back to the van after 4:00 and then decided to go up the CN tower. This was the 2nd time I have ever done this. The first time was fun and exciting, I wasn't married, no children. This time, I thought I was going to fall over. Going up that elevator completely freaked me out. I am typically afraid of heights, but knowing I'm secure usually alleviates that fear. It didn't this time. It took me a few seconds once on top to calm down and relax. Once I was relax, I enjoyed every minute. Don't know why I felt this way, Dave told me it was because of my kids and him, I have attachments now that I didn't before! ha ha ha. Even walked out on the glass floor. After that experience we had some dinner and headed to the Dome. We watched the US take on Venezuela. This time we were only 10 rows behind home plate. (Dave taped the game and we watched it today and saw ourselves quite a bit, it was neat!) It was a slow game to start off, but then the crowds chanting and cheering made up for that. By the 6th inning, the game was over, the US took a huge lead. It was 10:45pm by then, so we packed it in and headed for home. By the time we got home and into bed, it was 1am. Jeepers, 7am rolled around fast!
Here are a few shots of the weekend.


The CBC Building on Front St.The Gardiner and LakeshoreMe, just peering over the side!
Dave and I outside where is was totally cold and windy!Ahhh yes, the glass floor!

Dave, in our best seats ever!

Overall, it was the best baseball I have ever seen, and it was a lot of fun. Dave is still watching the games up until Wednesday when it is finished in Toronto. I told him I would tag along to the next World Classic, probably in the next 3 years, where ever he might have to go.....Mexico???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great weekend! I'm glad you had the chance to get away.

Jay

amym said...

I was going to say the same thing Jay!
you look like you are still enjoying life together and thats great!
what hotel did you stay at?