Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Caleb's First Official Full Day of School



Today marked a big day in the life of our Caleb. He had his first day of Junior Kindergarten. He was really excited. The fact that he gets 2 lunches was a thrill, and when we would ask him about the upcoming day, his main focus was that he gets 2 desserts (such a boy). Dave took Amberly to the sitters as usual, where I stayed home with Caleb and prepared him for the day. I packed his lunch, and showed him all his food and what to eat and when. We picked out what shoes he wanted to wear to school and what shoes he wanted to take for indoors. We packed up his back pack with his lunch, shoes and a bag of extra emergency clothes. We headed out the door. (I made an attempt to feed him breakfast, and he didn't finish his toast, and wolfed down his yogurt) Once we got to the school, I walked him up to the crossing guard and greeted her. Then we went behind the school to his door where he was to line up. There he met Mason, his older buddy who is in his class as an SK. From there, he ran and greeted his babysitter Christa with a big hug, and all the other daycare kids were there telling him that they were going to find him at recess.
Then the bell rang. I walked him over to the line, and Mason made room for him. I asked Mason to be Caleb's big helper for me today and he said sure. I bent down and looked Caleb in his eyes and told him I loved him. Then I gave him a little squeeze and asked for a high five. The teacher then opened the door and in marched Caleb, no turning back. I had tears well up in my eyes as the teacher started to close the door and say goodbye to us parents. But I held my composure. I then said my goodbyes to Amberly and Christa and headed to work. Christa told me how she found McQueen cupcake papers and that she planned on baking him special cupcakes to commemorate his first day of school and I sighed and said "gee, I even forgot to brush his teeth, let alone think of something like that!"
Once arriving at work, I had a couple of co-workers ask me about how things went, and I was able to keep it together, but knew if one more person asked, I was going to lose it. So I went into my friend's office and balled my eyes out! I mean the total "ah ah ah ahhhh" sob. But after I got the tears all out I was o.k. and before I knew it, it was after 3 and I was heading out to pick him up. The bell rang at 3:30 and out he came, with smiles on. The teacher told me that she only had him and one other JK there today, and that he was great. No accidents, picked up the routines quickly and seemed to enjoy himself. Caleb walked up to me and I gave him a great big hug and he asked me to carry his back pack. Then he saw Christa, and gave her a big hug while she presented him with his special cupcakes. We made our way back to the van with Amberly and I asked him a million questions to which he answered "I don't Know" to. So I really have no idea what happened at his first day. I know he played with Mason at recess. Oh and I know that the teacher helped him get his button done up after going potty. He's so cute he says to me "Constantinou did up my button" He fails to put Mrs. in front of her name, so to him her name is just Constantinou! That makes me laugh. As a family celebrating his first day, we went to East Side Mario's for dinner with Dave's parents. We had a really nice dinner.
It's hard to see my little guy grow up and like my Mom said, it will be hard to see him come home with changes knowing that I've missed a piece of his life. It's really hard to let go. This is the first step to many life steps he'll be making. I want to cherish every moment because I know it will go by so fast and before I know it, he'll be a man!
I love you my dear gentle Caleb.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that backpack looks huge for him! He'll grow into it I am sure...it is amazing how quickly they grow up.
Glad to hear his first day went so well. Is he going to be in an all day every day program?
~amy

Funny Girl Charleney said...

They told us to provide the kids with a full size back pack because it has to fit paper work and their lunch bags-which are huge too! He's in full days every other day. I worried about what he was going to eat and so I packed his lunch big time and he only ate 3 things and drank only one juice box. He was pretty hungry when he got home and I forced liquid at him too! I hope this will improve!

Deb said...

Thats a great picture Char! I figure Patrick's backpack weighs about as much as he does with all the stuff we have to send (food, papers, supplies, extra clothes, etc) but he doesn't complain about it.

Congrats to you on this big milestone! You made it and you survived!

Now on to the next one :)

Anonymous said...

it is probably too exciting to eat much in the begining...the excitement of school and all
~amy