Thursday, May 26, 2011

Validation

Who else watched the last show of Oprah? I admit I was a little bored at the beginning but then she started talking about validation and how it's the common thread amoung everyone. Everyone wants validation. As she was speaking about this, I began to feel how I am robbing my children of that in little bits of our days spent together. Her words "I hear you, I see you, I care about what you're saying" rang out to me. Oh how often do I ignore the "Mommy can you...." or the little stories that come from their mouths because I have something on the go or that is taking up my time at the moment? I then get frustrated and angry when they do something wrong. When all along, it was because I didn't take the time to "validate" them.

I feel this way too around people. I want to be heard and seen and yet many times I feel like I've been a wall hugger and slipped out of every one's radar. Many times I get asked a question but the asker doesn't really care for my answer, perhaps out of politeness they asked in the first place, but never really hoped for a reply. As a mom I struggle day to day to find my worth. But I'm learning that I'm worth everything to my heavenly father. I count, I matter and most graciously and amazingly I'm loved beyond my comprehension. It's now my daily prayer to ask for the grace and patience my children deserve, and now I will add on top of that, for the validation my children need.

1 comment:

amym said...

I didn't watch it...I think my mom taped it...
the stories little ones come up with...wow can my CO talk my ear off...but I have learned that I need to listen to his stories because I never know what I may be agreeing to in my distraction...I often catch myself trying to validate his feelings...I understand you are mad that you aren't getting what you want but you need to obey anyway...I just remind him that it is ok to be sad that I say no...but it is because I LOVE him so :)
I have found that my biggest distractor is 'screens' and I have made a big effort these days to turn off the tv, computer, ipod so that I can help the boys see that I am investing myself in thier everyday and they are more important than technology...because they are growing up SO fast and I don't want to miss a moment if I can help it