Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Joel Benjamin

I just thought I would tell the story of Joel's birth to help me remember the details for later down the road.

Starting on Wednesday Sept. 29th, I had a doctor's appt. with my ob. He checked me and I was 3-4cms. This time he told me that he added my name on the list to be induced Thursday in the hospital. This was followed by the statement that it may not happen if the hospital is busy, but a non-stress test would be in order if I don't. I was instructed to call the hospital Thursday morning before 7:30am. I continued through the day making arrangements for the kids and getting everything ready, all the while still preparing myself that Thursday may not be the day.

Thursday morning rolled around and I started the day out normally, waking up at 6:50am and getting the kids ready to go to Christa's. It was about 7:15am when I decided to get the phone and number ready to call the hospital. Just as I was doing that, the phone rang and it was the hospital calling to ask me to come in. My emotions were going nuts as I scrambled to get myself, the kids and Dave ready for the day where all life was about to change. We got the kids to the sitters for 8am and from there went to the hospital. We got there around 8:30am. We got registered and our nurse came to greet us and take us to the delivery room where she had me strip down into a gown and find a comfortable position on the bed. Our nurse's name was Judy. She informed me that Dr. Anstett just went into a scheduled c-section, so he wouldn't be in until later to break my water. In the meantime she started me on oxytocin to get contractions going. That didn't really make much of a difference for me, I couldn't really feel anything. My doctor came in around 11am and broke my water, and increased the drip. This brought on some very painful contractions. They were so low down and brought tears to my eyes everytime they happened. I lasted maybe 1.5 hours with this pain. Both my nurse and Dave were so quiet, I had on either side of me, them reading their magazines, while I was left alone with nothing distracting me but that pain. Finally my nurse looked at me and saw me crying and asked if I would like the epidural now. "YES PLEASE" was my response! It was maybe 12:45 when I received that. Which was painful in itself, but what magic it was. Once I had that, I was able to just sit back and relax! The nurse checked me at 4:30 and told me that I was ready, fully dilated and the head was right there. Another nurse named Brenda then came in. (Brenda was my nurse for Caleb and Amberly, she knew I was there, so she said she might as well be present for my 3rd too!) Both nurses chatted and called my doctor who was in his office. It would take him 5 mins. to come, and Judy said to Brenda, "He may be mad at me for calling him because I know he likes to see the ears when he comes in" Brenda then told her that she will get me to push just once to at least tell the doctor that I was pushing. So they had me push once. Then I heard Brenda tell Judy "well, he'll be happy now" implying that the ears were there! This was all so bizarre to me, because with Caleb, when it was time to push I could feel the severe pressure down below and my whole body was trembling. This time I could feel just a tiny bit of pressure, and that was it! Dr. Anstett came in and they had me push once. Then they had me push twice, and presto, Joel entered the world! I couldn't believe it, I kept saying "No way, No way!" Brenda took him over to clean him up and then my tears started to flow. It was so quiet in the room, with only 5 adults there, something I was so not expecting. The doctor continued to work below, I had torn a bit I guess. While he was stitching me up, he and Dave were talking about the 4th baby. Brenda piped up and said this was not the time to be having these discussions men!
It was just an amazing experience this time. God was with me the whole time. The kids came in with Dave's parents to meet their new little brother. The night went well with the young nurse I had. And we were able to get out in the morning. We were home by 11am Friday. My parents had stayed with the kids. Everyone is adjusting still.
Caleb seems to be having the most problems with Joel. He acts out and whines a lot. He's not his normal sweet self. But in time I know he'll come around. Amberly loves her baby brother. Often gives kisses and wants to look at him, and so far that's it, no threat of harm coming from her yet!
I'm adjusting o.k. One of the questions everyone asks me is if I'm nursing. I'm not. I told myself I would try, and I did. I did in the hospital and for the first full day at home and that was it. The memory of what I went through with Caleb came back, and fear of not knowing how much Joel was eating. My breaking point was when I was nursing and both Caleb and Amberly were in their bed crying out for mommy, and I couldn't go to them. Once I decided to make the switch, the wieght on my shoulders was gone and I felt a greater confidence in myself. Nursing is not for me. I know people would call me selfish for saying that. Believe me, I have suffered the guilt over it, and cried enough over it. But the bottom line is, Joel is thriving and happy and so is mommy.
Well, I could go on and on about Joel and what a good baby he is. We are lucky to get 4 hour stretches from him through the night. His fussy times are in the evening before our bedtime, where he seems to want to eat every 2 hours. But I'm o.k. with that. I do feel anxious each night wondering what he'll do, and if I'll get sleep. But again, the Lord has been truly good to me, and Joel has been amazing.
I better go, need to spend some time with Dave.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Congratulations again, Char & Dave!!