Saturday, February 24, 2007

Another Lesson Learned

Well today I learned that things don't always go the way I planned. All week I had been looking forward to today. My parents were coming early morning and then all of us were going to go to Ikea and then to my Mom's cousin Donna's in Hamilton. I was anticipating looking at the kids section in Ikea, as I never thought twice about it before, now that we have Caleb, I'm sure there are neat things we could get to add to his room.

I continued to plan in my head how things would be. We were taking the truck, and I figured we would leave the stroller behind and I would just use the baby carrier. BAD IDEA!!! He was fine upto feeding time. Then I had to change him. Now the change room in the bathroom at Ikea was great (this is the first time I had to change Caleb in a public washroom) They had put a mobile above the change table, and he was quite happy looking at that. But then I don't know what happened, either is was the noise there, or the difference in change table feel, but he screamed. He screamed and screamed and screamed. I couldn't get that diaper changed fast enough! Then that was it, he screamed the rest of the time there. I didn't even get to the kids section, I was so stressed out that I left everyone behind and took Caleb back to the truck. As soon as I put him in his car seat, he was fine! ahhhhhh. I should have taken the stroller! This was the very first time that Caleb has been this upset, and in public of all places! I haven't heard him this upset ever, not only was I stressed, but I was sad.

From there we went further into Hamilton to find Donna's place. She is a big knitter, crocheter and sewer, and has her own little shop where she hems and alters and sells her knitting. She had wanted us to come since Caleb was born so we could pick something out that she made for him to have. When we got there, she showed us an adorable sweater and hat that she made especially for him. It was sooo cute, I'll post pictures of him in his hat later.

Anyway we got back home and I am just exhausted, and so is he! I feel sad, because I have built this day up in my mind, and was so excited and looking forward to it, and then all this happened. But in my mom's words, "you have to take these things with a grain of salt". Next time I'll try and remember not to be too excited about outings such as these, it all depends on your child and how the day goes for them!

3 comments:

amym said...

Ikea is really great at accomodating for young mothers...they have a feeding zone, etc. Sarah and I went when Carter was a baby.

Well...next time you'll bring the stroller and hope for the best...it can only get better next time! And as he gets bigger 'adventures' should get easier!

amym said...

in the future if you don't want to lug the stroller, you could put him in the carseat and put the whole seat in the shoppingcart. just a suggestion.

Deb said...

Oh Char....these things happen :(

And everytime you go somewhere with Caleb, you'll learn more what he likes and does not like.

BTW while all this screaming was going on, where was Dave? He could have taken caleb to the truck and let you have a go in the kids section alone since you were so looking forward to that part.... just a thought for next time.