On Sunday I felt something hard to explain in words. I don't know, maybe I'm very judgemental, maybe I hold onto my possessions too closely, but by the end of the night, I felt a lack in something that I felt God was trying to point out to me. We've been the recipient of some wonderful things. A dear friend told me she was going through her kids closets today and would I like the stuff that is too small for our kids. I truly appreciate that, and accepted, but was left feeling that I need to do something in return, owe her something. Then I started to think, have I ever returned the favour by passing it on to someone else? No. Or I have but not with a happy feeling, I had a hard time letting go. (It could be because it's hard to let go of baby girl things, but still....) Although I have received some wonderful things, I feel as though I don't know how to be a giver of wonderful things, that I can bestow on someone else.
On the same day I felt a conviction on how I treat people. I realized that I don't know how to treat someone I consider different and don't understand. There's a wall that I quickly put up and when approached for conversation I get short and full of one worded answers. I also am quick to jump into gossip, I don't want to miss out on anything.
Tonight I just finished watching a session of Joyce Meyer where her last question was, "What have I done today to help someone who is hurting." She also emphasized the power of our words and how there is life and death in our tongues. That our hearts are deceitful and what comes from our mouth is from the heart. I struggle with this a lot at work. As much as I would like to think I'm a "sweetheart" I really am not. I need to ask God for His help, and transform my heart to show love and compassion for those who are hurting, and for those who are different.
This post is probably confusing and all over the place, but by getting it out there, I think I have figured things out...
1 comment:
Charlene, I could have written this post... I have been very aware lately of my attitudes around other people. I am trying to determine (with God's help) how I can use my gifts to better serve others.
Post a Comment